[Mimedefang] Run MIMEDefang in a Debug Mode to test SpamAassassin

Stephen Gurnick stephen.gurnick at aptivdigital.com
Thu Feb 21 17:03:38 EST 2008

I am trying to determine how MIMEDefang and SpamAssassin are working in
conjunction with each other.  Over the last few months a lot of spam has
been getting through, much more than usual, and Im trying to determine
where the weak link is in our
Sendmail(8.14.1)+MIMEDefang(2.63)+SpamAssassin(3.1.9) setup.  I am
performing sa-updates via a cron job daily and I have verified this is
working.

I discovered that if I take a piece of spam that got through and run it
through SpamAssassin manually using the command: "spamassassin -t <
spamemail" it will get marked appropriately as spam.

Because of this Im not sure how these spam emails are getting through
unless if somehow MIMEDefang is not calling spamassasin or if something
else going on.

I have verified that MIMEDefang sees that SpamAssassin is installed and
available by running the command mimedefang features  The spamassassin
entry is marked as a yes, which I guess is a good start.

Is there a way to manually run MIMEDefang against a spam email in some
kind of a debug mode?  I am able to do this with SpamAssassin and verify
that it is working properly, however I do not know how to do this, or if
its even possible, with MIMEDefang.

Any suggestions for how to go about testing mimedefang would be greatly
appreciated.  If there are any configuration files that I can post to help
narrow things down, please let me know.

Thank you.