[Mimedefang] Trend Micro patent idiocy - and so it begins

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 1 18:12:52 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 04:20:52PM +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> > But nowadays having a patent portfolio doesn't mean a thing to Patent
> > Trolls. Companies that own nothing other than patents, and produce
> > nothing other than patent litigation. Patent portfolios mean nothing to
> > them.
>
> Yes, since you can't litigate back at the patent troll (since he can't
> violate any patent as they produce/create/invent something).
> In the "nuclear weapon" analogy, the patent troll would be some
> organization without country or other property which possesses nuclear
> weapons and makes deals with you that they aren't blown up in your
> country.

I see it more like a terrorist organisation: they can throw nukes
at you, but you can't throw any back cause you don't know where "they"
are.

For some reason this WMD analogy keeps reminding me of Dr.Strangelove
and the doomsday device. I half expect some dimwit patent clerk to
uncover the breakthrough patent application of some neanderthal named
Ugh for the digits 0 and 1, and to grant it.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!