[Mimedefang] Trend Micro patent idiocy - and so it begins

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 1 09:57:29 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 01:23:35PM -0600, Stephen L Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 22:15 +0100, Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:
> > I don't know exactly who said it (IBM?) but in the current american
> > legal system, it's wise to stock up on a couple of patents, just to
> > defend yourself with, in case one of your competitors comes knocking
> > at the door.
>
> But nowadays having a patent portfolio doesn't mean a thing to Patent
> Trolls. Companies that own nothing other than patents, and produce
> nothing other than patent litigation. Patent portfolios mean nothing to
> them.

This I actually consider a "good" thing. "Good" as in "good that that
ravenous looking dog is biting that big guy's leg, and not mine".

It will bring the "big guys" over to the sensible side of the argument,
and help reform patent law, eventually.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!