[Mimedefang] recursively removing headers from forwarded attachments

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Dec 19 17:49:06 EST 2008

on 12-19-2008 10:51 AM Jonas Eckerman spake the following:
> d at vidm.cc wrote:
>
>> I'm using MIMEDefang to remove headers from outgoing mail
>> which would otherwise reveal details of my organization's
>> internal network, virus scanner, etc.
>
> This seems like a misplaced trust in "security by obscurity" that will
> make it harder tracking down eventual mail problems (including delivery
> problems and powned or infected local hosts).
>
> A bad idea IMO.

I second that!
You are better off using internal addresses that aren't routable like RFC
private address space. If someone gets into your network far enough to access
your internal systems then, no amount of obscurity will help you.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and