[Mimedefang] Mbox Format From Separator Origin

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Tue Dec 9 11:03:40 EST 2008

Hi All,

Mbox files are stored with a separator of From  aka the From_ line.  When
you use MD and quarantine the entire message, the From line is missing.  I
can generate a From header that tricks mail programs into thinking it's a
valid Mbox format file, thanks to DFS.

However, what's the origin of the From separator to begin with?  My belief
is that it is the local delivery system, for example procmail, that
generates it.

How can I generate one from MD or, more towards my goal.  The leading
question in this is that some emails seem to get a From line that is
generated with local user information, and others get it with more
email-specific sender information.  I'm trying to figure out if the lack of
email-specific From information would indicate spam.  However, a quick
peruse of my own corpora and quarantined email doesn't help much.

Anyone have any hints?

Regards,
KAM