[Mimedefang] Whois for Microsoft?

Jan Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 9 03:14:12 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 04:10:23PM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
>> Has anyone looked at the whois data on microsoft lately?
>
>> MICROSOFT.COM.ZZZZZZ.MORE.DETAILS.AT.WWW.BEYONDWHOIS.COM
>
>> and a bunch more!
>
>> Any idea who/how this got hacked?
>
> I don't think it was hacked.  I think if you own a domain "example.com",
> you can publish WHOIS entries for "anything.you.like.example.com" and
> whois (at least, the UNIX version) seems to match any subdomain.

Exactly. If anything is hacked, it's your interpretation of the WHOIS
output.

For more examples of this juvenile behaviour of registrars, look at
"whois beyondwhois.com". Or take the next domain on the "hacked
microsoft whois" list... it's just digital graffiti on the ivory tower
of the domain registrars. You'd think with all that money coming in they
can afford to keep their neighbourhood clean, but apparently not...

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!