[Mimedefang] AWL and local.cf

Gary Funck gary at intrepid.com
Mon Aug 25 13:25:47 EDT 2008

We're in the process of moving MDf over from an FC5
system to Centos5, upgrading versions along the way.

We're using the mimedefang-2.64-1.el5.rf (rpmforge) RPM.

We're seeing the following mail log entry at boot time:
[...] mimedefang-multiplexor[18383]: Slave 1 stderr: auto-whitelist:
open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lock

Reading some past e-mail traffic, apparently this problem has
a work-around, where "lock_method flock" is commented out.

We can do that, however ...

Q: Is AWL meaningful, when run on a separate mail server?
Isn't AWL implicitly a per-user facitlity?  Is it best
practice to disable AWL, when running MDf on a separate
mail server?

Q: Related question - does Bayes auto-learn work when
SA is being invoked from MDf on a separate mail server?
I recall that we tried this out several years ago,
and there were problems, so we disabled Bayes auot-learn.

Regarding SA's config. file ... MDf tells SA to use
/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf ...

Q: will SA also read /etc/mail/local.cf when invoked from MDf?

Q: How can I find out SA's configuration/settings when
invoked from MDf?

thanks.