[Mimedefang] mimedefang.sh does nothing

jef moskot jef at math.miami.edu
Fri Aug 8 02:52:49 EDT 2008

I just installed MIMEDefang from ports on a FreeBSD 7.0 machine.  Followed
the instructions and now I want to test the config (with sendmail).

Trying to send a message yields this
"Milter (mimedefang): local socket name /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock unsafe"
in /var/log/maillog.

Makes sense, because as it turns out, mimedefang isn't running.

So, I cd to /usr/local/etc/rc.d and attempt to run mimedefang.sh (which is
just an unmodified copy of mimedefang.sh-dist).

# ./mimedefang.sh start

Nothing happens.  No mimedefang processes start, no complaints, I can't
find error messages in various log files, etc.

mimedefang.sh looks reasonable and is not entirely braindead:

# ./mimedefang.sh
Usage: ./mimedefang.sh
[fast|force|one](start|stop|restart|rcvar|reload|reread|status|poll)

I haven't made any significant modifications (just changed the email
addresses in mimedefang-filter) to any of the conf files, since I'm not
that far along yet.

Is there somewhere I might get some feedback as to what's going on (or not
going on)?

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator
jef at math.miami.edu