[Mimedefang] Developer release of Email::VirusScan

Dave O'Neill dmo at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Apr 10 14:16:37 EDT 2008

As the next step on the road to cleaning up the mimedefang.pl code, I've
factored the virus scanner integration out into a separate set of
modules -- Email::VirusScan.

The modules are now available as a developer release on CPAN, available
from http://search.cpan.org/dist/Email-VirusScan/

The virus scanning engines supported are all of those supported by
MIMEDefang, with the exception of two or three that I didn't bother
converting as they appeared to be entirely obsolete.

In a future release of MIMEDefang, this virus scanner code will replace
the current virus scanner methods in mimedefang.pl.  The immediate
benefit will be the removal of about 2k lines of virus scanner code in
favour of loading only the necessary modules.  This should save a couple
hundred kb of memory per scanning slave.  In the long term, being able
to validate and test virus scanner plugins outside of MIMEDefang should
be a big win.

But first, before it gets integrated into MIMEDefang, it needs testing.
The ClamAV::Clamscan and ClamAV::Daemon modules are relatively well
tested, but the modules for scanners I don't have access to are almost
entirely untested.

I would appreciate it if anyone using one of the supported virus engines
would download this code, try it out, and provide feedback.   Patches
and bug reports can be sent to the list or to me directly.
Alternatively, if you are willing to provide me with shell access on a
system with one of the supported scanners, I will run the tests and make
any necessary fixes.

Cheers,
Dave
--