[Mimedefang] OT: DNS A records to somedomain.com

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Apr 2 10:46:26 EDT 2008

Cormack, Ken wrote:
 > I've seen the reverse occur.... Where broken remote mail servers, failing to
 > do successful MX lookups against your domain to find your target mail
 > server, suddenly start trying to send port 25 connections to the web server
 > listed in the A record.  The resulting rejections/bouncebacks they receive
 > lead them to complain that your mail servers are broken.  It can sometimes
 > take some convincing to tell them "no... It's YOUR server that's broken...
 > You're trying to send mail to my web server."

I guess we'll see what happens...

I do have a client who was told to do this, but was hosting their webserver on 2
different IP's and the 3rd party hosting company wants the domain A record to
point to them. I told my client, so how are people every supposed to connect to
your webserver without the www on the front now?

I just remember reading the RFC saying it's perfectly legit and workable...

In between the lines I read, "don't be surprised if strange things happen though".

Thanks for everyone comments. I realize this is a little OT for here.. but this
email list has some of the best admin-thinkers I'm on. So I appreciate the
thoughts. (and for Dave putting up with the post)

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.