[Mimedefang] OT: DNS A records to somedomain.com

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Apr 2 10:08:28 EDT 2008

Speaking of broken mailers, I have seen something that puzzled me.  Most
of the mail servers I filter are behind a firewall that drops incoming
SMTP.  The external DNS has MX records that point to the spam filters
(CanIt Pro).  These servers send directly to the internet in most cases.

On several occasions, sites have reported they cannot send mail to a
domain I filter.  Once I speak with someone that can actually troubleshoot
the problem, I find that they are attempting to contact the mail server
directly, ignoring the long published MX record.  I do not recall if these
were sites that had A records published for their domain, but I seem to
recall they were attempting to contact the server at mail.domain.tld.
Obviously the firewall prevented that and it time out.

Any one else see this sort of behavior and have any insight on it?

--
The Kool-Aid from Redmond is powerful stuff.  -- Gregg Eldred

William Brown
Web Development & Messaging Services
Technology Services, WNYRIC, Erie 1 BOCES
(716)821-7285