[Mimedefang] OT: DNS A records to somedomain.com

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Apr 2 08:20:56 EDT 2008

Ben wrote on 04/01/2008 11:53:46 PM:

> I know it's allowed - but I can't remember where I read the ups/
> downs of having
> an A record for a domain.
>
> (you know, when you want your users to be able to leave off the
> www.somedomain.com so you have:
>
> somedomain.com.       IN A 123.456.789.012
>
> Thoughts?

As you point out, it allows people to be lazy and leave of the WWW.  It
also allows companies to advertize their web presence as Sony.com, also
leaving off the WWW.  In the absence of MX records, it also directs SMTP
traffic to that A record, whether or not it should get mail.

I generally add the A record for a domains I do DNS work for.