[Mimedefang] accept, then scan?

Kenneth Irving ken at fq.edu.uy
Fri Sep 21 13:12:25 EDT 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Andy Lyttle wrote:

> > No, you can still reject the message after the DATA part. That's what
> > action_bounce in mimedefang is for.
> >
> > However, you can only reject the entire message. If it was sent to
> > multiple recipients, it is rejected for all recipients, or accepted
> > for all recipients.
>
> I see.  Good to know.
>
> > Simplest fix: take SpamAssassin out of mimedefang, run spamd, and
> > call spamc from .procmailrc. This of course requires a change to
> > the .procmailrc for every local user.
>
> Ahh...  I was thinking about it, and realized taking SpamAssassin out
> of MIMEDefang was the only way it could be done, but calling it from
> procmail is the missing piece I hadn't thought of.

Beware: you may be solving one problema and creating another even worse.
The solution suggested is correct, in the sense that it can work. But the
disadvantege is that when you run spamc from procmail, it runs for each
email address the mail has been sent to. So if someone is sending one
spam to 3,4 or 10 email addresses in your server, the the mail is passed
through the spamassassin filter that many times. I don't know if there's a
solution to this.

It is true that the work is postponed, but it may end being more work than
necessary, and if your server is quite busy, this may prove a disaster.

Anyhow, it's worth trying...

best regards
		Kenneth