[Mimedefang] accept, then scan?

Andy Lyttle mimedefang at phroggy.com
Fri Sep 21 01:20:56 EDT 2007

Question:

As I understood it, once we've accepted HELO, RCPT FROM, MAIL TO and
gotten to the DATA part, we're committed to delivering the message
and cannot change our minds and reject it after we get to look at the
headers or body.  However, it looks like connecting MTAs are waiting
for an acknowledgment that the message has been successfully received
after they've delivered the message contents, so maybe that isn't
entirely true?  Anyway, if it is true, what I'd like to do is to
accept the message, close the connection, and THEN scan the message
with SpamAssassin.  Is that possible?  The reason is, on old slow
hardware, certain large messages are taking too long to scan (two
minutes or more), and in some cases I'm accepting the message but the
sending MTA timed out, so I wind up receiving duplicate messages.  In
other cases, Sendmail just times out because mimedefang took too long
to respond, so Sendmail returning a tempfail.

I'll be upgrading the hardware at the end of next month.  What are
some ideas until then?

SpamAssassin scans most messages in only a second or two.

~ Andy