[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang mentioned in InfoWorld article

Cormack, Ken ken.cormack at roadway.com
Wed Sep 12 13:24:24 EDT 2007

> You should do some log analysis and find out exactly how many viruses
> and spams it's saving them from.  Multiply that number by an
> estimated number of seconds it would take an employee to recognize
> and delete one message (taking into account that a "You have new
> mail!" notification may cause them to momentarily stop what they're
> working on and switch over to their e-mail client).  Multiply this by
> an estimated average salary, and see how much money you're saving the
> company.  If this number is impressively large, show somebody the
> math.  If it isn't, keep it to yourself. ;-)

Been there, done exactly that.  I used exactly the same method to put a
dollar value on the amount of salary saved, per spam filtered, and then
totalling up the money to say "MIMEDefang saves us $X dollars per year."

The response I got from management was "that's just a funny-money number",
it doesn't respresent anything "tangible".  Remember from the earlier thread
this week, I'm the guy that lost the battle with management to preserve our
legacy filters in favor of their "magic quadrant" commercial pick.  There
are some battles you just cant win.

Just a heads-up.

Ken