[Mimedefang] ADMINISTRIVIA: Out-of-office replies

Cormack, Ken ken.cormack at roadway.com
Fri Sep 7 13:26:32 EDT 2007

> What? You're not using role accounts to communicate with customers and
> vendors?

Yes, we do have many role-based accounts, but in a company with thousands of
employees, not every one is individually front-ended by such an account.
(And when the realy user gets the initial email and replies, the original
external sender then tends to have the real body's email address.)

> And if not, you really don't want to allow something as broken as the
> lookout! Out-of-Office reply to be behind your public personal accounts.
> Use unix's vacation. It's 80's technology, but that's quite modern by MS
> standards.

Unfortunately, I'm just one engineer, in one department, in an environment
with many layers of management above me.  If a product or "solution" isn't
listed within Gartner group's "Magic Quadrant", they simply arent
interested.  To them, that means Outlook with Exchange on the back-end.

And that also means that I've lost the battle to retain MIMEDefang at the
gateways - we'll be deploying a "magic quadrant" vendor's product here in
two weeks.  I feel good that I've been able to hold off the inevitable for
about 5 years, beating their chosen platform's filtering performance
(already installed at our sister campus for the past 3 years) but that's
another story.

Ken