[Mimedefang] Reloading one slave at a time?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Sep 6 13:31:46 EDT 2007

Andy Lyttle wrote:

> Sometimes, I would
> prefer to restart one child process at a time, waiting until the first
> has finished reloading before reloading the next.

"md-mx-ctrl reread" is a little friendlier.  It asks the slaves to exit
at a convenient time.  They'll still all exit and restart reasonably
quickly, but busy slaves will finish their work before exiting.

> But if I'm reloading to do a minor tweak, I'd rather have some processes
> running with the old rules and some with the new for a couple of
> minutes, and not have to tempfail anything, particularly because
> outbound mail sent from authenticated users will be affected as well,
> and they don't always handle tempfails as gracefully as SMTP servers. ;-)

So then don't even do a reload.  As slaves exit and are replaced with new
ones, your changes will eventually take effect.

> Is this currently possible, and if not, can it be made possible in a
> future version?

It is not currently possible, and we have no plans to make it possible. :-)