[Mimedefang] Seeing "Use of uninitialized value in pattern match" following upgrade to mimedefang-2.63

Kees Theunissen theuniss at rijnh.nl
Thu Sep 6 01:15:04 EDT 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> Seeing:
>
> Sep  5 16:32:46 mail mimedefang-multiplexor[28792]: Slave 0 stderr: Use of
> uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin/Message/Node.pm line 125.
>
> This corresponds to _find_parts().  I think the variable $re isn't being set.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

Yes I saw this about a month ago, also while running a combination of
a current MimeDefang and an old SpamAssassin.
I was running MD 2.57 and SA 3.1.7 and did an update to the current
versions at that time: MD 2.62 and SA 3.2.2.
Before and after the update MimeDefang was installed from source
and SpamAssassin was installed from CPAN. Required and optional
perl modules were installed or updated from CPAN. I had applied
the MD patch that stops SpamAssassin from leaving files lying around
in /tmp (the most important change from MD 2.62 to MD 2.63).

I saw this error directly after the update of MD and before I updated SA.
Updating SA solved the problem.

> I upgraded my RPM's minutes before this started:
>
> Sep 02 11:36:28 Updated: mimedefang.x86_64 2.63-1.fc6
>
> and some other packages were updated (cyrus, etc).  But not spamassassin
> (been running 3.1.9 since Jun 17).

Looks like my situation except that my SA was a few versions older
and I'm running a 32 bits Linux x86 system.

> I looked in previous emails, but no one else seems to have reported this
> particular issue.

I didn't bother to report this. I was running for a few minutes a weird
combination of a current MD and a serveral versios old SA. The problem
did not occure with current versions of the involved programs.

Regards,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen
F.O.M.-Institute for Plasma Physics Rijnhuizen, Nieuwegein, Netherlands