[Mimedefang] Strange SpamAssassin Problem in Mimedefang, empty reports and placeholders

Martin Blapp mb at imp.ch
Thu Oct 25 11:30:52 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've just observed a very strange thing. One mail out of 1000 mails hasn't got
any report. Instead of a parsed summery, there is just _SUMMARY_ as
placeholder in $report. If I tempfail such mails, they may have the same problem
2-3 times later until they get properly accepted by the same filter later.

This is the way I handle such mails:

if ($report =~ /_SUMMARY_/) {
         md_syslog('err', "$QueueID: tempfail, SA internal ERROR");
         return action_tempfail("Please try again later.");
}

1.) Even if I redo the same spam_assassin_check() in mimedefang-filter
after such an error, $report still has an empty _SUMMARY_.

2.) A manual scan with SpamAssassin does work as expected.

3.) If I prepare a Mimedefang work directory with INPUTMSG HEADERS etc,
it works as expected if I use mimedefang.pl.

Any hints how I can track this down ? Have others observed this problem ?
Is it a SpamAssassin problem ? Why does it work the second or third time ?

I use latest Mimedefang and SpamAssassin versions.

--
Martin

Martin Blapp, <mb at imp.ch> <mbr at FreeBSD.org>
ImproWare AG, UNIXSP & ISP, Zurlindenstrasse 29, 4133 Pratteln, CH
Phone: +41 61 826 93 00 Fax: +41 61 826 93 01
PGP: <finger -l mbr at freebsd.org>
PGP Fingerprint: B434 53FC C87C FE7B 0A18 B84C 8686 EF22 D300 551E