[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang versus CanIt-Pro versus Barracudas?

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Thu Nov 29 19:31:16 EST 2007

On Apr 21,  1:07pm, James Ralston wrote:
}
} Is anyone currently using CanIt-Pro or CanIt-Domain-Pro?  Do those
} products offer the same flexibility as MIMEDefang in terms of being
} able to hook into sendmail via milter?  How well do the per-recipient
} Bayesian filters, whitelists, et. al. work?

     CanIt-Pro is based on MIMEDefang.  From what I understand, it is
MIMEDefang with a rather complex custom mimedefang-filter plus a web
interface.

} I'm being pushed by management to abandon our sendmail+MIMEDefang
} system in favor of Barracuda appliances.  But because Barracudas don't
} intercept during the SMTP dialog (which is the only safe place to
} reject in terms of not generating backscatter), going with Barracudas

     Yikes!  That thing should be blasted off the market.  It's
incredible that anybody can produce anything that works like that in
this day and age and get away with it.  Of course, we still have things
like qmail and mailscanner as well.

}-- End of excerpt from James Ralston