[Mimedefang] action_replace_with_url

Roland Pope rpope at jadeworld.com
Mon Nov 12 21:17:13 EST 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Cyrus IMAP is a wonderful piece of software, but be aware of two things:
>
> 1) It has a fairly steep learning curve and is designed to run on
> a "sealed" server.  So Cyrus user-accounts don't necessarily have
> anything to do with UNIX user accounts.

True, but recent versions improved the setup and usability and there are
some tools and extensions which allow you to map unix users and groups
to Cyrus accounts and ACL's if you want to use it that way.
> 2) Unless things have changed since I last used Cyrus, the
> single-instance store will not recognize identical messages unless
> they have the same Message-Id.  So if some silly person sends 100
> copies of an attachment in 100 separate messages, I don't think the
> single-instance store buys you anything, whereas
> action_replace_with_url does (because it keys off a hash of the
> attachment content.)

Actually, it is based purely on the LMTP delivery mechanism delivering
to multiple recipients on the same server, on the same partion in the
same message delivery run, so if you send 100 separate messages, they
will result in 100 separate message files being stored on the server.
That being said, in most cases, the types of numptys (see point 2 in
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=numpty) who will send
large attachments generally use the 'Send to everyone in my address
book' type features, which would normally result in a single LMTP
delivery run for all recipients who reside on a particular server. So
yes, if it's lots of separate messages the 'action_replace_with_url'
would produce more of a win.

Roland