[Mimedefang] Who/what considers .eml attachments as harmful/suspect?

Jason Gurtz jason at jasongurtz.com
Tue Nov 6 19:17:59 EST 2007

On 11/6/2007 18:17, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Jim McCullars wrote:
>>   [snip]
>>    The default filter in MIMEDefang used to reject .eml attachments.
>>
> I wasn't thinking just of MD, but of filters in general...

Ironport appliances don't reject any attachments by default.

Off the top of my head, if you can find answers for Mailscanner and
Barracuda appliance defaults for this file extension, then I think you
could feel confident about at least 95% of all deployed attachment filters.

I've checked out bug 220646 and I can see where your interest stems
from.  ....also feeling glad I'm not part of *that* "conversation."  I'd
be interested in hard stats about how many sites actually do strip .eml
attachments.  My guess is that it's a pretty tiny number.

~Jason