[Mimedefang] Who/what considers .eml attachments as harmful/suspect?

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Tue Nov 6 16:00:40 EST 2007

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> I'm working on Thunderbird bug 220646 and trying to figure out which
> particular filters balk at .eml named attachments.  Has anyone on this
> list encountered such a beast?

   The default filter in MIMEDefang used to reject .eml attachments.
Later versions of the filter would allow a .eml attachment but only if it
was part of a multipart message.  It appears that as of the 2.58 release,
the default filter doesn't complain about .eml file types at all.

   So the answer to your question is, it depends on what version of MD a
site is running, and what kind of changing they have done to the default
(excuse me, "suggested minimum") filter.

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville