[Mimedefang] Google is being nasty with greylisting

Ron Wilhoite ronw at bals.org
Thu May 31 15:42:49 EDT 2007

On 05/31/2007 03:00 PM Todd Aiken wrote:
> I had a nasty experience with Google when trying to sign up for Google
> Groups a couple of nights ago.  I could not receive the confirmation
> email from them, because they seem to be using a random from address in
> the SMTP transaction, thus each time I would get a retry from them after
> the initial greylist tempfail (or each time I would ask them to resend
> the confirmation email), my server thinks that it is a new greylist
> triplet:

snip

> Is there anything I can do without either having to:
>
> 1) Whitelist all of Google's servers?
> 2) Turn off greylisting completely?
> 3) Send a complaint to Google asking them to stop doing this, which will
> probably just end up in /dev/null

There may be other things you can do (I use mimedefang, but not for
greylisting), but option 1 is apparently not uncommon. I whitelist
google.com and gmail.com.

Milter-greylist's conf file includes this:

# This is a list of broken MTAs that break with greylisting. Derived from
#
http://cvs.puremagic.com/viewcvs/greylisting/schema/whitelist_ip.txt?rev=1.16

Ron Wilhoite