[Mimedefang] "Command unrecognized" when doing tempfail

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed May 30 15:57:42 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 02:22:01PM -0400, Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> I talked to the ISP admin and they don't use a Cisco PIX.
> They use sendmail too. It is posible that the problem is there because
> they limited/blocked some SMTP commands in sendmail?

No, sendmail cannot send "XXXX HeloName". You can limit some commands in
sendmail but not EHLO (things like EXPN, VRFY etc, you can limit).

Well, unless someone edited the binary by hand or something immensely
stupid like that (ahem - I should add - it's only immensely stupid if
you don't know what you're doing... :)

Given my experience with how end-users of an ISP usually work, and given
the symptoms: the ISP admin on the other end is not aware that he's
using Cisco PIX, make him talk to his network admin :)

However, the tempfail that your milter is giving is likely not related
to the unknown command. Have you tried figuring out why your milter
generates the TEMPFAIL? I think it is being generated in filter_relay or
filter_sender. You could add an md_syslog() call just before every
return('TEMPFAIL', ...) statement.

Oh, and try to make sure that no filter_* routine ends without a return
statement, either. You can accidentally return a TEMPFAIL if you happen
to return a negative number from a filter_* routine, eg if your function
ends with a statement that returns a negative number.

At your end, you can likely fix the tempfail returned by your filter.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!