[Mimedefang] Socket File

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Thu May 24 02:53:19 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Daniel Aquino <mr.danielaquino at gmail.com> wrote:
> During startup I get the error:
>
> WARNING: Xmimdedefang: local socket name
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock missing
>
> Then every time an email comes in my maillog says:
>
> mail sm-mta[22110]: l4NEbaAb022110: Milter (mimdedefang): local socket
> name /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock unsafe
>
> mail sm-mta[22110]: l4NEbaAb022110: Milter (mimdedefang): to error state
>

> I'm using mimedefang through sendmail and my directory permissions are:
>
> root at mail:/var/spool# ls -l
> drwxr-x--- 2 defang defang 4096 2007-05-23 10:32 MD-Databases/
> drwxr-x--- 2 defang defang 4096 2007-05-04 11:03 MD-Quarantine/
> drwx------ 3 defang defang  160 2007-05-23 10:35 MIMEDefang/

If you trawl the list archives (or even Google) you'll see this has
come up many times before.

The usual problem for "local socket name X unsafe" is having to open
permissions somewhere in the directory tree above the MIMEDefang
directory.

So, initial things to check:

1) Does the socket exist (ie have you started MIMEDefang)?

2) What are it's permissions?

3) What are the permissions on /var and /var/spool (and /)?

4) What versions of MIMEDefang and Sendmail?

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor