[Mimedefang] Re: MTA

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat May 19 14:07:28 EDT 2007

G.W. Haywood wrote:
>>> I use a loooong pause, sometimes I have to remove it for specific hosts
>>> or domains that can't handle it.
>> Do you have some reason to think that making this pause long does
>> something other than waste the time of benevolent mailing list handlers?
>
> Yes.
>
>> It's easy enough to drop all spam if you don't care what else you lose.
>> Yes, some people care about valid email.
>
> I'm not quite sure whether you're making a real point, or if you're
> just spoiling for a fight.  There's more to life than email, and I
> have better things to do than fight.

I like to think of spam filtering as a balance between the good of
dropping actual spam and the collateral damage of dropping valid mail,
slowing deliveries, and inconveniencing others with unnecessary delays.
You presented one side of this balance as though it alone was a victory.
  I'm just curious about the other side and any evidence you might have
as to why you think the balance you've chosen is correct - particularly
if you are making these decisions on behalf of others as a system
administrator.  Things like the length of a greet-pause that catches the
most spam senders but does not interfere with valid mailers would be
useful information for everyone.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com