[Mimedefang] MTA

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri May 18 09:24:38 EDT 2007

--On Friday, May 18, 2007 11:25 +0200 Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 10:56:50AM -0400, Daniel Aquino wrote:
>> I wonder what type of tests are  you guys performing at the MTA level
>> that will subvert any extra processing that would occur with
>> mimedefang ?

1. greet_pause

2. ratecontrol

3. BAD_RCPT_THROTTLE

4. If sender address is string at columbia.edu, check users and aliases,
and accept only if it is a valid address.  Done in sendmail because it
can check users and aliases quickly.

5. If nbadrcpts reaches 3, start tempfailing all remaining addresses.
Exceptions for two hosts that send official university mailings.  Done
in sendmail because it's trivial :-)

RBLs are done in Mimedefang, so that we can write in exceptions to
what is checked.  Besides mail from our own users, we also want to
be sure to accept all mail sent to our abuse and security addresses.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer