[Mimedefang] MTA

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Fri May 18 05:25:50 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 10:56:50AM -0400, Daniel Aquino wrote:
> I wonder what type of tests are  you guys performing at the MTA level
> that will subvert any extra processing that would occur with
> mimedefang ?

None, apart from any stuff you can enable with the default sendmail
m4 config file syntax, like MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE, MAX_RCPTS_PER_MESSAGE,
and greet_pause.

> I know rbl's can be done but wI would rather leave that up to spam
> assassin since it does various rbl checks...
>
> But I'm looking for other tests that could be done at the MTA layer
> such as simple helo tests and what not...

We avoid doing "extra processing" in mimedefang by blocking early
from within mimedefang. Eg, by verifying bogusMX and RBLs from
filter_recipient, so if it is rejected, the mail never makes it
to the data phase.

The complexity and inflexibility of the sendmail.cf syntax makes it
unpractical to do any filtering there.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!