[Mimedefang] DNS Lookups in MD - Was RBL and DNS lookups

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Tue May 15 11:59:00 EDT 2007

> By unnecessarily raising the threshold, and creating super-rules to then
> hit
> that mark, you render the stock rulesets far less successful at flagging
> spam.  It would seem pointless to run any of the stock rulesets, if they
> don't stand a chance at scoring at-or-above the high threshold, without
> help
> from the super-rules.
>
> Am I wrong in thinking this?

You ARE completely right in your thinking but these rules are based on being
CLOSE to blocking the email.  So a lack of a reverse ptr will make it VERY
likely to be marked as SPAM in essence mimicking AOL's policy without
outright blocking.

I typically recommend a threshold of 6.5 for marking emails as SPAM

regards,
KAM