[Mimedefang] RBL and DNS lookups

John Scully jscully at isupportisp.com
Fri May 11 11:09:19 EDT 2007

We run rbldnsd on one older server (although it could run on the m ail
server if resources are available).  We use rsync to download quite a few
RBL lists.  RBLDNSD is designed for very high performance, low memory
footprint specifically for using DNS for RBLs.  At about 1,000,000 message
per day we are unable to measure ANY additional processor load on that
server from rbldnsd.

Our caching dns server is then configured to go to our rbldnsd for just
those zones.   The advantage, if properly configured is that if your rbldnsd
server is down it will hit the network zone...just slower.  Between the high
performance of rbldnsd and the high cache hit ratio on the dns server,
response time is only a few milliseconds on all these lists. If you do not
run local mirrors and have low volume (meaning that you get little benefit
from the DNS cache), then it can climb to several seconds.

here is a fragment from our named.conf (munged)

zone "multi.surbl.org" IN {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; # (Ip address of our RBL server)
        };
};

zone "sip.invaluement.com" IN {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; # (Ip address of our RBL server)

        };
};

zone "uri.invaluement.com" IN {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; # (Ip address of our RBL server)

        };
};
zone "sbl-xbl.dnsbl" IN {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; # (Ip address of our RBL server)

        };
};
zone "sbl.dnsbl" IN {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; # (Ip address of our RBL server)
        };
};

zone "xbl.dnsbl" IN {