[Mimedefang] RBL and DNS lookups

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Thu May 10 10:14:28 EDT 2007

>> I do run caching nameservers for all of the RBL checking
>
> Would I need a special dns daemon hanging around for doing just this task
> ?

I don't know what you mean by special.  I recommend any mailserver run a
local caching-only nameserver anyway.

>> in some cases, I run local mirrors of the entire RBL.
>
> How do you achieve this?  And to me it sounds more like your
> downloading an entire list of dns all at once instead of caching
> entries only as they are requested...

It is achieved by downloading the entire DNS list and publishing the zones
locally.  Many of them have differing techniques, costs, and technologies to
do this.

> Are your local mirrors still accessed behind a dns server?

Yes, typically using BIND or rbldnsd.  We run some of the public mirrors for
a few RBLs as well so sometimes, our "local" copy is actually also a public
copy that benefits the internet world at large.

Regards,

KAM