[Mimedefang] Logs

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Tue May 8 13:34:40 EDT 2007

Daniel Aquino wrote:
> Wouldn't that waste bandwidth by answering to these spammers ?

Assuming you're referring to this...
> return action_bounce('No spam, thanks');

...no, it wouldn't.  In MIMEDefang, action_bounce doesn't actually
generate a bounce message, it issues an SMTP reject.

That means instead of telling the connecting server, "OK, I received the
message, you can disconnect now," it says, "Sorry, I'm not accepting
this message, please disconnect and don't bother trying to send it again."

(Side note: when responding to something, it always helps to quote the
relevant chunk of the previous message.  That way people know which
message you're replying to.)

--
Kelson Vibber