[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multiple resends onincoming mail

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Fri May 4 15:07:13 EDT 2007

On Sep 24,  8:44am, Jeff Rife wrote:
} On 4 May 2007 at 9:53, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} >      So, you have a machine that costs $600 three years ago.  That
} > means that it is cheap consumer crap.  You're not going to get an
} > enterprise class server machine for that price (good quality hardware,
} > hardware RAID arrays with good quality disks {SCSI or possibly SATA,
} > but SCSI/SAS is still better}, ECC memory, proper backup systems;
} > depending on your needs, things like redundant power supplies, etc).
} > Many people go with cheap consumer stuff for servers and often get away
} > with it; but, that doesn't make it right.
}
} Wow.  I know this is totally off-topic, but, just...wow.
}
} Except for the massive amount of disk space in my primary server (3TB),
} I could easily have purchased the whole thing for less than $1000, and
} yet it has an Intel brand server motherboard, and Intel brand hardware
} RAID controller (SATA with battery backup), and Intel boxed 3.4GHz
} processor, 4GB of ECC memory, redundant power supplies, a UPS good for
} 40 minutes of runtime...pretty much everything you list.  The major
} components of this system (MB, RAM, processor, RAID card, drives, power
} supplies) all have at *least* a three year warranty, with 5 on the
} drives and lifetime on the memory.
}
} Since it is in my home, I don't have anything like a generator (which a
} commercial enterprise should have), but it's basically just a bunch of
} what you would call "cheap consumer crap" that I put together from
} purchases over the Internet.

     Obviously, you haven't read all my posts; otherwise, you would
realise that I don't care what name is on the outside of the box, but
rather what is inside the box.  You've managed to put together quite a
nice system for the price.  However, do note that both David and myself
are located in Canada, so my comments are based on Canadian prices,
which are generally very good, but not necessarily as good as the
States.  Also, although unspecified, I'm guessing you spent more then
$600.  And, the system you put together is not even remotely typical of
a $600 system.

} Someday you need to check out the fact that the real world has long
} since bypassed the "never get fired for purchasing IBM" mentality that

     See above.  BTW, I'd probably fire you for purchasing IBM /
Lenovo.  They lost their edge in the PC marketplace eons ago.  Their
laptops are generally pretty good and maybe some of their "real server"
gear.  But, in the desktop world, they're a has been.

}-- End of excerpt from Jeff Rife