[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multiple resends onincoming mail

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Fri May 4 12:53:11 EDT 2007

On Sep 24,  6:52am, "David F. Skoll" wrote:
} John Nemeth wrote:
}
} > } Wow!  For CAD $600, you can get an AMD64 box at a couple of Ghz with
} > } 1GB of RAM.  Time to upgrade!
}
} >      Yes, but this will be cheap consumer level equipment.  Not
} > something that I would consider appropriate for a mission critical
} > enterprise server.  That costs more money.
}
} Hmm... roaringpenguin.com is our web server, mail server, CanIt filtering
} server, and so on... it cost me $600 and has an uptime of...
}
} 	    927 days

     So, you have a machine that costs $600 three years ago.  That
means that it is cheap consumer crap.  You're not going to get an
enterprise class server machine for that price (good quality hardware,
hardware RAID arrays with good quality disks {SCSI or possibly SATA,
but SCSI/SAS is still better}, ECC memory, proper backup systems;
depending on your needs, things like redundant power supplies, etc).
Many people go with cheap consumer stuff for servers and often get away
with it; but, that doesn't make it right.

     BTW, given the history of bugs, especially security bugs, in the
Linux world, any Linux server that has been up for three years really
scares me.  That tells me that the OS hasn't been patched in way too
long a time.  Actually, three years for just about any production
server is excessive.

} Actually, uptime only reports 430 days, but that's because Linux
} rolls over at 497 days.

     Time for them to fix that.

} We've been very happy with our machine. :-)  (OTOH, I'm the kind of guy
} who still drives a 1991 Dodge Shadow...)

     I drive a 1980 Dodge Diplomat.  It's a major nuisance if my car
fails to work, but it isn't a mission critical enterprise server.

}-- End of excerpt from "David F. Skoll"