[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multiple resends onincoming mail

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri May 4 09:37:07 EDT 2007

Kimmo Jaskari wrote:

> Does this then mean that anything that isn't scanned and processed by
> the server in about 2 minutes or less causes an error?

Not necessarily.  It depends on the client timeout, which is beyond
your control.

[...]

> The weird thing is that the same hardware on an earlier OS version,
> earlier MD version and scanning with uvscan commandline as opposed to
> Clamd apparently didn't have these issues.

Clamd has problems on Solaris, I believe.  And it also has a huge number
of signatures now.  We find Clamd to be very CPU-intensive.

> Granted we're only talking
> about a 440mhz UltraSPARC IIi here with half a gig of memory that I
> probably should retire,

Wow!  For CAD $600, you can get an AMD64 box at a couple of Ghz with
1GB of RAM.  Time to upgrade!

> but even so - shouldn't that be able to handle
> scanning a couple of measly 6MB attachments without choking?

Apparently not. :-(  Clamd is hungry...  You really don't want to run
a production MIMEDefang setup on such an underpowered machine.