[Mimedefang] Cleaning up antivirus integration

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Wed May 2 19:27:58 EDT 2007

On 2 May 2007 at 16:35, Anne Bennett wrote:

> "Dave O'Neill" <dmo at roaringpenguin.com> asks:
>
> > 1) what AV engines do you actually use with MD?
>
> Sophie.

ClamAV daemon for me.

> > 2) what sort of API would you like to see for the restructured code?
>
> At the moment, I just explicitly call
>
>   my ( $code, $category, $action ) = message_contains_virus_sophie();
>
> in filter_begin, and discard if we find a virus.  I'd hope that a
> relatively simple calling interface for a single scanner would continue
> to be available, though I approve of your effort to make it easier to
> run multiple scanners.

I wanted to second this request.

You can clean up the code and use objects, etc., but I think that
"message_contains_virus()" should "do the right thing" with the
virus scanners installed, just like it does now.  And
"message_contains_virus_scannername()" should do what it does now.

This would allow us to upgrade to new versons of MIMEDefang without
changes to our filters just to pass syntax checks.

--
Jeff Rife |