[Mimedefang] Re: Plug-in to transcode messages

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed Mar 7 17:49:20 EST 2007

Kelson wrote:
> Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> Which goes to my point about broken MUA's sending out
>> useless encodings other than the trinity of usascii/latin1/
>> utf8...
>>

> Isn't ASCII redundant if you have Latin-1?
> Aren't ASCII and Latin-1 redundant if you have Unicode?
>
> Perhaps it would be more appropriate to transcode *all* mail into UTF8.

The point is to use the smallest charset your message
will fit into.

That's part of the "be conservative in what you send"
philosophy that drives the Internet.

A pager or a cell-phone might not have full UTF-8 fonts.

You're going for the widest possible functionality with
the least requirements in terms of resources if you want
Internet protocols to be truly ubiquitous (which has long
been a design goal).

-Philip