[Mimedefang] Re: MimeDefang & Spamassassin

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Fri Mar 30 13:03:45 EDT 2007

HI.
> From: mimedefang-admin at spiresfamily.com
>
> I was wondering if when mimedefang calls sendmail if it reads all the .cf
> files in the /etc/mail/spamassassin directory?
>
> It doesn't seem like mimedefang+spamassassin is catching as much as
> spamd+spamass-milter did.  I'm sure its a setup issue of somesorts I'm just
> not sure where to look.

Indeed, there are some differences, here are some of them:

MD uses a file called:
/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf

Instead of /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.
The local.cf file is still parsed,
but if there is a conflict then sa-mimedefang.cf is with higher priority
(as far as I understand).

MD disables network tests by default (DNSBL, URIBL, etc)
To enable them you should add:
$SALocalTestsOnly = 0;
To the file:
/etc/mail/mimedefang-filter

And *ALSO* change the line:
skip_rbl_checks 1
to:
skip_rbl_checks 0
in:
/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf

Other files in /etc/mail/spamassassin would be read so you can keep your
existing files there,
such as files to change default scores, black+white list, etc.

So, in short - you should:
1. edit /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf to your test.
2. Make sure to enable network tests.

My 2 cents,

Yizhar Hurwitz
http://yizhar.mvps.org