[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin and using a local SpamHaus zone DNS server

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Wed Mar 28 17:44:53 EDT 2007

Jim McCullars wrote:
> Does anyone here run SpamAssassin and also subscribe to the SpamHaus data
> service, where you download the lists and query a local DNS?  I recently
> signed up for the 30-day free trial and sendmail is doing the query as it
> should, but the default net tests in SA are still querying the
> spamhaus.org public servers.  Did you change SA to query the local DNS for
> the SBL/XBL/PBL tests?  If so, how did you make the change?  Thanks...

I do that here (have a local copy of the zones, for sendmail and SA to
query against).

I recall having to restart some things to get them to notice that the
resolv.conf had changed.  I seem to recall this is more of a problem
with sendmail ... but it may depend on how you're calling spam assassin.
  If you call if via procmail, I wouldn't expect it to be an issue.

When we first did this, we were running mailscanner, and I don't recall
having to restart it.  When we moved from mailscanner to mimedefang, I
don't think we had to restart that either.  But we definitely had to
restart sendmail (it caches the resolv.conf at start up, and, IIRC,
never reads it again, so changes aren't recognized without a restart).

If you're using a milter, try restarting the milter.

Worst case, try rebooting.