[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin and using a local SpamHaus zone DNS server

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 28 17:16:18 EDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 03:30:28PM -0500, Jim McCullars wrote:
> Does anyone here run SpamAssassin and also subscribe to the SpamHaus data
> service, where you download the lists and query a local DNS?  I recently
> signed up for the 30-day free trial and sendmail is doing the query as it
> should, but the default net tests in SA are still querying the
> spamhaus.org public servers.  Did you change SA to query the local DNS for
> the SBL/XBL/PBL tests?  If so, how did you make the change?  Thanks...

You just change the config of your local recursive nameserver to
point spamhaus.org to your local copy. In bind, this looks like
this in your named.conf:

zone "sbl.spamhaus.org" {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
                192.168.1.2;	// or whereever your spamhaus copy is
        };
};

// repeat as necessary for xbl.spamhaus.org, zen.spamhaus.org etc.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!