[Mimedefang] Revisit: Filtering on HELO

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sun Mar 25 15:26:40 EDT 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>> My read on that code is that is what I described is exactly
>> what happens...
>>

> Actually, if you run tests, you will see that Sendmail uses the host
> name as the HELO argument unless you use the "h" modifier in
> ClientPortOptions.  In the latter case, it will use the name of
> the outgoing interface if it can resolve it.

That still goes towards my point, which was that the host
uses the address of the interface that's outbound for the
connected socket.

Remember: the original point was that if a host is
multi-homed {A.A.A.A, B.B.B.B, C.C.C.C}, that it is
incorrect behavior to say "EHLO [B.B.B.B]" on a
socket that is bound to any local interface *other
than* B.B.B.B.

-Philip