[Mimedefang] Revisit: Filtering on HELO

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 16 15:53:01 EDT 2007

--On Friday, March 16, 2007 2:21 PM -0500 Richard Laager
<rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

>> Those are solid, I agree, except as I was saying some with no dots
>> are actually small-time organizations misled by Windows software.
>
> Yes, you will have some false positives. In general, we provide an error
> message in this case and let people contact us when things fail. I then
> explain to them how to configure the hostname in the System control
> panel, which without fail always has fixed the problem in the past.

You have the advantage over me of knowing how to configure Windows!
We actually refused for this for about 2 weeks, and then I was tired
of telling somebody new every day what was wrong.  And this was *with*
an error message telling senders what was wrong.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer