[Mimedefang] Re: Plug-in to transcode messages

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed Mar 7 23:27:57 EST 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>> The point is to use the smallest charset your message
>> will fit into.
>>

> I can see your point, but you're being chauvinistic towards
> English and European languages.  If I want to write a message
> consisting only of:
>
> שלום
>
> why can't I use a narrower encoding than UTF-8?
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

I'm not being chauvinistic.  I didn't come up with the
standard.

But yes, it is English-centric.  Then again, so is SMTP,
FTP, HTTP, etc. since they all use USASCII and
english commands.

Rather than "HELO" in SMTP, why not have "CIAO"
or "SALUT"?  ;-)

And as for compactness of notation?  Why bother?
Interoperability has always been more important
than efficiency.

Look at base64 or quoted printable.

-Philip