[Mimedefang] Unknown command '^W' in RESULTS file

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:08:59 EST 2007

On 3/7/07, Eduardo A. Suarez <esuarez at fcaglp.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar> wrote:
> Josh Kelley wrote:
> >
> > To avoid this problem, we eventually disabled embedded Perl.  Are you
> > running with embedded Perl enabled in Mimedefang?
>
> Yes, I will try without embedded Perl. Are there any performance
> degradation with this type of operation?

Embedded Perl saves memory, since parts of the Perl interpreter can be
shared between the slaves, and it can let slaves initialize a bit
faster (since the parent process only has to initialize once),
although that should happen rarely enough that it's probably not too
noticeable.

David F. Skoll has reported that embedded Perl probably may not
actually help memory that much, since Perl's reference counting method
of garbage collection ends up touching almost every page of memory,
requiring each slave to have its own copy of the data anyway.

Josh Kelley