[Mimedefang] Unknown command '^W' in RESULTS file

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:55:54 EST 2007

On 3/7/07, Eduardo A. Suarez <esuarez at fcaglp.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar> wrote:
> I have been using MIMEDefang the past 3 years without problem. Now I
> setup LDAP and I have lots of this messages in my logfiles I have tried
> compiling sendmail/libmilter with/without LDAP.... It seems that
> MIMEDefang learns that exists an LDAP server using ldap.domain as
> hostname (I have a DNS alias), when I delete that DNS record the error
> disappears. Where is the problem? Why?

I've had similar problems ("Unknown command in RESULTS file", lots of
"nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server...").  From what I could tell
from investigating, the problem was caused by Mimedefang's operation
when using embedded Perl.  When using embedded Perl, Mimedefang
initializes SpamAssassin before forking, and SpamAssassin may open up
various file descriptors to nscd or the LDAP server and so on, then
Mimedefang closes all file descriptors when it forks, and that can
confuse things.

To avoid this problem, we eventually disabled embedded Perl.  Are you
running with embedded Perl enabled in Mimedefang?

Josh Kelley