[Mimedefang] GPLv3

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Sat Jun 30 23:22:54 EDT 2007

On 30 Jun 2007 at 14:09, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Jeff Rife wrote:
>
> > The biggest thing to figure out (and I'm afraid only a laywer could
> > follow the GPL3 enough to know the answer) is if using GPL3 on
> > MIMEDefang would essentially require you to give away CanIt with no
> > limitations on its use.
>
> As the copyright holder on MIMEDefang, we can distribute it under whatever
> terms we like.  Roaring Penguin is the only organization *not* bound
> by the GPL when we distribute MIMEDefang, so I don't think that's
> an issue.

I had done this same thought process, and it seems logical, but I
really don't know if GPL3 basically says that you can't keep any part
of an implementation "private" if it contains any GPL3 code.

Essentially, it would treat RP as two separate entities where one
distributes MIMEDefang under GPL3, and the other grabs that code,
modifies it, and distributes another product without including full
source.  I know that stopping things like Tivoization were at least
partly on the mind of the GPL3 writers, but I just don't know enough
about the way the license reads to say what would happen.

One other reason to go to GPL3 is if you have gotten any fairly large
chunk of code from a 3rd party and included it in MIMEDefang.  GPL3 is
supposed protect you from being sued for patent infringement for that
code.

--
Jeff Rife | "I have a question that could affect our entire