[Mimedefang] Re: md_check_against_smtp_server and exchange

Graham Dunn gdunn01 at harris.com
Thu Jun 7 10:58:35 EDT 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:

> Some versions of Exchange (I believe older than 2003) cannot reject
> invalid recipients at RCPT time.  This is totally broken behavior and
> the only fix is to upgrade (preferably, away from Exchange altogether.)
>
> 2003 and later let you fix the broken behavior.
>
> See http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Sender-Recipient-Filtering.html
> and look at "Recipient Filtering", especially the
> "Filter recipients who are not in the Directory" option.

If you're using exchange < 2003, your best bet is to generate an access
map for sendmail. I have a perl script that I used to use against an
Exchange 5.5 server (I'm not in the mail group anymore) that would dump
out a file suitable for sendmail's makemap.

I think there are more modern versions out there for Exchange 2000 (the
mailbox attribute name changed in LDAP, for one).

Graham