[Mimedefang] OT: DNS sanity check

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Jul 6 10:26:06 EDT 2007

Jeff Rife <mimedefang at nabs.net> wrote:

> Count the number of messages that you reject *solely* because of the
> bad DNS check.

OK.  And this proves to be interesting.

Of 1,269,722 messages rejected yesterday, 46,413 were rejected based
on scoring.  Of those, 922 scores included a score for mismatched
forward and reverse DNS.

Of those, 563 would have scored high enough to reject anyway, and so
therefore the test got us 359 additional rejections.

That is fewer than I expected to find.  Of the 359 I can identify 1
that appears to be legit mail.

Another 129 scored within a point of being rejected.  I can identify
2 legitimate messages here.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer

?