[Mimedefang] OT: DNS sanity check

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jul 4 22:34:11 EDT 2007

Jason Gurtz wrote:
> On 7/4/2007 21:12, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Does that fit the much-touted best practices model?
>
> No comment other than to state my observation that this seems to be a
> fairly common configuration at a not small number of legitimate sites,
> large and small.  It's a fact that needs to be carefully considered when
> rejecting mail outright.

It can be very difficult to get right, considering that the naming
authority is delegated through different entities for the forward and
reverse lookups, and you may need multiple A records for a given name
and often also need multiple names for a given IP since it may be doing
something in addition to email or handling multiple domains.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com